All comments to posts have to await approval. Please be aware that, depending on when I'm logged onto the internet, it may take me hours, even longer, to moderate comments, so if they don't turn up in a speedy fashion, they are still in the queue. Comments that cross a line I'm not comfortable with will not get approved. NOTE: Comments reflect the opinions of the person writing them and should not be assumed to reflect the opinion of the blog.
Friday, April 29, 2011
Lenz's Closed by Health Department!
Popular Stuy Town and PCV deli, Lenz's, has been shut down by NYC's Department of Health. Two official yellow signs were plastered onto Lenz's windows indicating the forced shut down. Meanwhile, a handwritten sign from Lenz's stated that the deli was "Closed for the Day--Cleaning!" That's an understatement.
Lenz's was already in trouble by receiving a "B" grade rating for its store. A re-inspection on Thursday, April 28th, determined that conditions inside the deli warranted its closure, with the deli receiving a whopping 70 points in this inspection. (The higher the points, the worse the conditions.)
Here's the official word from the Department of Health:
Violation points: 70
Establishment Closed by DOHMH. Violations were cited in the following area(s) and those requiring immediate action were addressed.
1) Hot food item not held at or above 140º F.
2) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
3) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
4) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
5) Food not protected from potential source of contamination during storage, preparation, transportation, display or service.
6) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
7) Food contact surface not properly maintained.
8) Accurate thermometer not provided in refrigerated or hot holding equipment.
9) Non-food contact surface improperly constructed. Unacceptable material used. Non-food contact surface or equipment improperly maintained and/or not properly sealed, raised, spaced or movable to allow accessibility for cleaning on all sides, above and underneath the unit.
10) Proper sanitization not provided for utensil ware washing operation.
11) Other general violation.
I suspected that Lenz's was over-peppering their food and that the pizza had extra ingredients!