Comment Policy

All comments to posts have to await approval. Approval does not happen immediately. NOTE: Comments reflect the opinions of the person writing them and should not be assumed to reflect the opinion of the blog.

Management has two priorities: 1) Making sure money is made, hence upgrading and filling up apartments is their goal. "Amenities" are important in selling the place, though few residents use them. 2) If someone needs medical attention, Public Safety will be there, if alerted.

Quality of life issues are not that important, however. Things like the carpet rule or outsider dogs. These "rules" tend to be ignored, on purpose it seems. So you will see a lot that isn't taken care of properly, and complaints will be met with a creative excuse and a smile.

"Peace and quiet" must be a cruel joke, though this property is sold that way. There can be no peace and quiet as ALL apartments must be upgraded, which includes the installation of an AC unit below the window. Aside from the continual construction about the neighborhood, there is a new and noisy subway extension being built along East 14 st and the shut down of the L line. "Choosing" to live in NYC, now the newest mantra, is a fabrication when the talk is of ST and PCV, which was traditionally quiet, with no construction noise.

Though money was always important, it is now more important than ever. Money rules many things, as you will find.

At this point, 30 years into living here and seeing many things, I can state that Management and their reps are BS-ing us. I can't say that loudly enough: We are being BS-ed. I don't see any genuine change, though the "selling" of this place is intense. Few of the "rules" will be enforced, as Management doesn't want to lose customers or potential customers. Where personal integrity is a hallmark of an excellent management style, this integrity is not seen in enforcing some of the rules.

Our Tenants Association is, basically, null and void. Oh, it is still around, but it lacks the will power to confront much of anything. The TA will ask for your dues, however. By now, the TA is a charade.

About those "club cars" we see going this way and that way, and outside of Stuy Town or Peter Cooper Village:

Sunday, November 6, 2011

More from Councilman Dan Garodnick

A reader spoke with Garodnick and sent in this message:

I spoke with Councilman Dan Garodnick this morning and here is a summary of what he had to say.

He is addressing the skating rink issue on all city fronts. He has contacted The Department of City Planning (zoning) and The Department of Buildings (permits) and will be going to the City's Department of Environmental Protection, which enforces the noise code, shortly. There is some sort of a permit on file with The Department of Buildings. He said that he expects to hear back from The Department of City Planning and more fully about the permit from The Department of Buildings sometime this week.

He is suggesting that everyone contact 311, make your complaint, get a complaint number and send it or call it in to his office so he can follow-up/track complaints, if necessary. You can telephone 311. You can go online to You can also text your complaint to 311NYC (311692). The City does not charge for this service but your wireless charges may apply.

I just called 311; 311 tried to transfer me to 911, but 911 turned me over to the Fire Department instead. I made my complaint about the electrical wiring that is being run out of 19 Stuyvesant Oval - and also out of the EXPOSED OPENING of a LIGHT POLE in front of 19 Oval - and strung up into the trees and snaked over to Playground 10. The Fire Department said that it would send someone to investigate.


Anonymous said...

Thanks STR.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if the TA plans to organize building by building petition solicitors? If not, will there be a central location where we can go to sign? said...

Dear Anonymous @ 2:11 PM:

The TA has not announced any plans to organize around this issue. But on their Facebook page, the TA says to contact 311 about this. In addition, I would strongly urge you to express your concerns directly to all of the following:

Council Member Dan Garodnick

Adam Rose, Property Manager
Stuyvesant Town/Peter Cooper Village

Andrew MacArthur, VP
CW Capital
1540 Broadway
NY, NY, 10036

ST-PCV Tenants Association
PO Box 1202, New York, NY 10009-1202.
Phone Message Center 1 (866) 290-9036

Call 311 to file a report with any city agency. Describe to the 311 operator what your concern is, and they will facilitate the filing of reports and complaints.

For more information, please contact

Anonymous said...

The TA is asleep!

Anonymous said...


When on the site, where do we complain about this? Can someone post where exactly? ie: building violation, tenant complaint? said...

Dear Anonymous @ 12:49 pm concerning filing 311 complaint online. I read your question concerning which complaint category to use .... I agree with you that it is very tricky to navigate. And time-consuming to figure out which category to choose from the many pull-down menus. My suggestion is to call 311 and let them figure out which category of complaint it belongs.

Anonymous said...

Noise Complaint FAQs
Top Services > Noise Complaint FAQs

What can I do about noise?

You can make a noise complaint through 311. You can also take the Night Noise Survey, which will be used to help develop neighborhood initiatives to address noise problems. If you are bothered by noisy neighbors, talk to your building owner or superintendent. Buildings often have noise rules, and management may be able to help you resolve a situation where the rules are being broken.

What happens when I make a noise complaint?
Your complaint is sent to the agency that responds to the type of noise you complained about. Most noise complaints go to either the New York Police Department (NYPD) or the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).

NYPD responds to noise from:
* Neighbors
* Clubs and bars
* Parks (except noise from a dog which is handled by DEP)
* Stores and businesses
* Streets and sidewalks
* Motor vehicles and motorcycles
* Houses of worship

NYPD noise complaints are considered non-emergencies. The local police precinct will respond when officers are available and not responding to emergency situations.

DEP responds to noise from:
* Construction sites
* Dogs and other animals
* Ice cream and other food truck jingles
* Air conditioners and rooftop circulation devices
* Lawn care equipment
* Factories
* Boats

DEP responds by measuring the noise and issuing a violation if appropriate.

What can I do if I've filed a complaint and it's still noisy?
You have a few options. You can:
* Contact NYPD or DEP, whoever handled your complaint.
* Make a new noise complaint Service Request through 311.
* Consider mediation between you and the noisemaker.

Where can I get more information about noise and NYC?
You can read What NYC Does About Noise, A Guide to New York City's Noise Code, and the noise code. You can also see noise complaints on the 311 Service Request Map.